Bitesize video tutorials
We've made five short, easy to follow video tutorials on using library e-resources.
Topics include DynaMed Plus, Easy Evidence Search and using eBooks.
View them at: http://bit.ly/MPFTLibraryTutorials
Using the internet more effectively
Learn how to search for high quality health information using key sources, use search engines effectively and assess website quality and reliability.
Literature and database searching
Learn how to search clinical databases (e.g. CINAHL, PsycINFO) to find evidence and information to support your work, study and professional or service development. Training can incorporate your own research interests and refresher training is also provided.
Searching the Cochrane Library
Learn about levels of evidence, systematic reviews, and how to search this key evidence based resource effectively.
Keeping up to date
We'll help you keep up to date with the latest information, evidence and guidelines in your field.
Learn how to search the library catalogue and manage your online library account. Get help with accessing and downloading e-books and using your Open Athens account to find and read articles. Get help with referencing your sources and finding items on your reading list.
Introductory critical appraisal training - group sessions
Learn how to critically appraise a qualitative or quantitative research article using a critical appraisal checklist and learn how to assess its relevance to your work.
Next Group Sessions:
Stafford: Learning Centre, Wednesday 6th March 9:30-12:30
Shrewsbury: Redwoods Centre, Wednesday 20th March 9:30-12.30
E-mail us to book: firstname.lastname@example.org
Research training opportunities
View the MPFT Research and Innovation department page for information and support with writing research proposals, analysing data and applying for ethics approval.
Health Education England have developed the following modules to help you search for literature effectively. You do not require a login and each module takes a maximum of 20 minutes. Certificates are awarded upon completion.
Building the Foundations
- Recognise when you need to conduct a search
- Identify search skills you need to develop
- Find approprate information on your topic
- Find the full-text of a journal article
- Focus your search question
- Identify additional search terms
- Use AND/OR to combine search terms
Developing the Skills
- Apply limits to your search
- See how different methods of searching affect the results
- Amend your search strategy to reduce the number of results
- See how removing keywords from your search affects the results
- Amend your search strategy to increase the number of results
- Using subject headings or thesaurus terms
- Broaden or narrow the search using subject headings
Applying the Skills
- Choosing a database for your search
- Conducting your search on HDAS
- Saving results and downloading full text articles
There are lots of training funding sources available. However, most are very limited in terms of who’s eligible and the amount of funding available, so don’t raise your hopes too high! It seems to be particularly hard to get funding if you already hold professional qualifications and want to do a further taught qualification.
The list below includes some possibilities. If you find any more that might be of use to colleagues, please e-mail us to let us know.